Where I Started

Where I Started
This is how my Roadrunner looked when I bought it

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Air Grabber Hood


I wanted an Air Grabber hood so I looked on eBay, most of the people who are selling parts are NUTS!
They think they are sitting on a gold mine. 4000.00 dollars for a hood that is in only fair shape is nuts. For that kind of money it should be ready to bolt on.
I found this hood on Craig's list. It is complete, but the underside has lots of rust holes. To many to fix.
I figured the best way to fix it was to take two hoods and make one. I separated the skin from the under hood support.
I ground off the spot welds.

and separated the two pieces

Here's the hood skin after it was separated.
Here is a better look at the support, if you click on the picture you'll get a better look at the rust.


 I then sandblasted all of the surfaces

Here's the hood support primed. The silver at the top is weld through primer.

A previous owner had drilled holes at the back of the hood, for hood pins I guess. these needed to be filled.

I squared the holes and cut pieces from the old hood. Then I welded them in.

Here's the hood welded back together and ready for the repair to have a thin coat of filler put on.




No comments:

Post a Comment